Mary's Kitchen Column recipes, Hibiscus Matters newspaper
Feb 2019 Duck Mango Salad
If you are able to, then eating fresh from your garden is always the best option so you know what is in your food, if not then I recommend buying fresh, high quality product direct from the grower at a farmer’s market. Choosing spray free or organic helps retain nutrients for added benefits. Perfect for the hot summer nights we are having, this recipe can be altered to use whatever ingredients you have available.
- 280g duck breast, oven roasted until nearly cooked. Rest/cool and slice. Alternately use pork, chicken or prawns
- 1 mango, peeled, sliced or cubed
- 1/4 cup almond flakes
Serves 2. For the salad, mix together
- 1/4 lettuce, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated or shredded
- ½ cucumber, julienned
- 100g bean sprouts
- 3 sprigs coriander, chopped
- 1 red or spring onion, finely sliced
Dressing; shake together in a jar:
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup castor sugar
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed garlic
Method: Prepare salad and dress when ready to eat. Top with duck, mango and almond flakes. Season and top with chutney or relish – I use plum chutney. Leftover dressing can be refrigerated.
Mary’s Mac and Cheese Balls
85g Gruyere grated
60g freshly grated Parmesan
150g Mascarpone cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs lightly beaten with a fork
1. Cook macaroni as per packet instructions and set aside.
2. In a large glass bowl – melt butter in microwave for 40 seconds.
3. Add flour and microwave for a further 40 seconds.
4. Gradually add milk, stirring continuously to avoid lumps forming.
5. Microwave for 2 mins. Stir and microwave for a further 2 mins. Repeat.
6. When the mixture has thickened, stir in the cheeses until melted through.
7. Add cooked macaroni to cheese sauce mixture and season with salt and pepper.
8. Allow to cool in fridge (overnight for best results)
9. When the mixture has set; roll into small balls and coat in flour, egg and then breadcrumbs.
10. Deep fry until golden brown in Canola oil.
11. Serve immediately with your choice of Award Winning NoShortcuts chutney or relish.
Quick and Tasty Brunch
- Toast some hearty grained bread
- Smash avocado onto toast
- Spread with NoShortcuts Beetroot Relish
- Pop a poached egg on top and you're done. Delicious!
- Add an optional slice of crispy bacon
Ideal as Toppings for:
Duck and mango salad with Plum Chutney
Tomato salad with baked salmon and our Sweet Sliced Pickle